Monday, September 8, 2014

SNP Bear Hounds, Trees, and Brookies

Been a while since I've gotten out for some trout and been even longer since I've made it up to the SNP.  Contemplated about taking the boat out but was just in a trout kind of mood so it was off to the SNP.  When I was hiking into the stream I saw a spin fishermen hiking out.  Had a chat with him for a while and found out the locals have been running dogs in the area for bear hound training.  Guy said he had dogs chase a bear right in front of him on the stream and decided to call it quits.  I picked up where he left off fishing and the fishing was good.  The fish were not interested in dries at all.  I had two swipes at my dry, the rest were on the dropper.  I did catch one late in the afternoon on a dry.  This big boy demolished the stimi.


Only fish to taken on a dry.  An odd ball but I'll take it.

This tree was pretty cool too.  It was a single tree that about 5 feet up slip into three separate trunks.  Learned that this is due to Apical Dominance.

Here are the rest of the pictures.



Stream levels were surprisingly well for this time of the year.






Can't complain about this much needed relaxing trip.  Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

  1. Nice outing. I'm heading down there next month.
    Could you email me at
    uppahdam@aol.com.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love Shenandoah, I need to make it out there more. I really have no excuse not to haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really don't. I believe your closer to those streams than I am.

      Delete
  3. Those spots! I can't get over them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are getting all colored up for fall.....which is right around the corner. Can't wait for Fall.

      Delete