Monday, September 15, 2014

Patience

One thing I've learned about musky fishing is it takes patience.  I've been spoiled over the years with catching a couple fish every single outing when I go for brook trout.  When exploring new streams I always have a backup plan in case a stream ends up being sterile for trout.  Brook trout also are not picky eaters.  If you get the fly to them in the presentation they want, they will eat for the most part.  For brook trout it is more about their beauty and getting away from the hustle and bustle of every day life.  Getting on some little trickle coming off the side of a mountain and flinging a 2 wt with a size 14 dry is a great way to relax and enjoy a little bit of God's creation.



Musky fishing on the other hand is completely different, especially with a fly rod.  It is exhausting.  It takes patience.   It takes focus.  It has been going on two years since I have even hooked one.  It is a completely different kind of unwinding.  It is satisfying to go out on the river and get your butt handed to you by a fish.  Throwing ten inch flies on a ten wt all day long just for a little hope of coaxing this predator to bite.  Patience is something that musky fishing teaches you. It is probably one of the only species that just seeing them follow your fly is like having a hundred trout day on the stream.  So while there are days where I need to be on a mountain stream catching a couple dozen 6 inch brook trout, there will also be days where I need to be out on the river throwing out my arm for a fish that I shouldn't be targeting with a fly rod.

And the tying of musky flies is a therapeutic activity as well.  Expensive, but fun.  I have gone through more bucktails this week tying musky flies than I like to admit.

 
I went out again Saturday to again not see a single follow.  I caught my first musky on my first outing for them and now I'm having to pay with 20,000 casts instead of 10,000.......Patience.

4 comments:

  1. Each has there frustrations and each has its rewards.
    Nice flies, a wonderful treat for those meat eaters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A wonderful treat that they hardly ever want to eat. Their will power is strong.

      Delete
  2. One day I might try for muskie... as for now I just need to get out to the mountains more!

    ReplyDelete