Tuesday, September 11, 2012

St. Croix Legend Ultra Review

This fly rod has been my go to small stream rod for sometime now.  Before this I had a 6'6" custom made rod that cast well, but made me find out that I wanted to go back to something with a little more reach.  The 7'6" 2 wt Legend Ultra is what I went with, and I sure am glad I did.  I like having that extra foot of rod to keep the line off the water and more control and accuracy when casting.  It is a mid flex rod and also had to slow down my casting with this rod, but it is accurate.  And note too that small streams, you are only casting 20 feet tops.  I do a lot of roll casting and quick casts without a false cast.  I've picked up lighter 2 wts before but I'm not all that concerned with shedding ounces.  As far as if it is a true 2 wt or not, I think it is.  I had a 3 wt line on it until I got a 2 wt line and it did good.  I would probably put a 3 wt line if I was going to be dealing with some wind, but I like the feel of the 2 wt line on it.  It is a very slow action rod to begin with so overlining it to a 3 is just not gaining any benefits (except in windy situations).  The sad thing is that this rods have been discontinued, but you can still find them on ebay for around $300.

No comments:

Post a Comment