Saturday, April 14, 2012

Brookies, Flowers, and Fluorescent Red Crawfish

Today I was a free man, so I hit two brookie streams.  Plan was to fish two new streams, but after the first new stream kicked my butt, I said forget the second stream and fished a much easier to fish stream.  I'll try to paint a picture to why the stream kicked my butt.  On the first stream I took a trail down the mountian for about a mile to where it meets a creek, and then the creek goes back up the mountain but on the opposite side of the mountain from the trail.  I fished up the stream till it was just a trickle and no brooks anymore.  Instead of hiking down the creek back to the trail and then out, I knew that the stream would go all the way up and meet the road I was parked on.  Hike to the trail and then back out would of taken 45 min to an hour and I figured the hike up the stream to the road would take 30 min so up the creek I went......bad idea.  Took about 2 hours and was to date the worst hiking conditions I've been on.  It got very vertical and hundreds of down trees making it about impossible. I did eventually make it out, but was in no condition to fish another remote stream so I just went to a good road side stream that never really has produced numbers for me, but has some big trout in it.  

Here are the pictures from the first stream.


The hike in.

Biggest brookie from stream one (was a very small stream)




Believe this is a crane fly. 










Finally made it out of the creek in one piece.


Pictures from the second creek.



Finally had one of the bigger guys come out.



Now I know when I post this picture that it'll give this stream away, but I figure if you know the stream by seeing these crawfish you have already fished it before.  I just think these guys are too cool not to post up.  There are only two stream known that produce crawfish this color.  This stream, and then another on the VA/NC
border.  Has something to do with a certain mixture of minerals found in this stream.



Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment