Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Musky Fly Body Tubing

I have recently bought a bunch of wire tubing that I have been using to tie musky flies with and will be selling small batches of it on my EBay page.  There are other options out there, but they are typically overpriced, especially for the quantity you receive.  I have gotten several questions on what I have been using and how its tied in, so this post is in regards to how to use Musky Body Tubing.

Cut off about 3 to 5 inches depending on how much depth you will need for your fly.  With a lighter, lightly singe both ends of the tubing so it will not unravel with you are folding it over itself. 
 

Now this is the part that I do a little different.  I prefer to fold it over itself instead of tying it onto the hook and folding it.  This allows me to not have to fold it over my bucktail that is already tied in and crush it.  I push the tubing over a pinched end until it buckles like pictured above.
 
Then I keep pushing the tubing over itself until the right side is inside out and to the left.  The orginal left side is still right side out and tucked in the inside to the right.
 
Then I go thru the left side, and pull the end that is inside the tubing back out until it is like the picture above.  Now your ready to tie it onto the hook.

Slide the tubing around the hook eye and into where you want to tie it in at.  Make a couple loops with the thread and add a drop of super glue and continue to make a couple more tight wraps to secure it.

Then pull the top tubing back and tie it in over the bottom layer of tubing.  Add another drop of super glue and a few more wraps.  Whip finish and cut the thread.

Then grab the right side that isn't tied in and fold it back over your thread wraps.  This will create a nice body and allow you to tie bucktail right in front of your tubing and give it the maximum flair needed with musky flies and other baitfish patterns.

I am selling the tubing at the links below.  There is 3/8" in white and black and 1/2" in white and black as well.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment